My friends at Sage recently released Sage Peachtree 2012, the latest version of their easy to use business management application. The product has versions which handle businesses from startups through mid-range businesses who need up to 40 users. Major new/improved features include:
- Sage Peachtree Business Intelligence, powered by Alchemex, is one of the best new features. (I wrote about this tool for my April/May CPA Practice Advisor column)
- Sage Advisor Technology gives you tips on how to improve your workflow based on your actual usage (this is one of the topics for my June column), and helps tech support know how you actually use the product.
- The Workflow Management in Sage Peachtree Quantum has been enhanced to allow tasks to be automatically assigned to certain individuals. This is one of the strongest, least used features in the product, but IMHO, it’s a game changer for the people who use it.
- New components for the My Dashboard tool, which permits customizable dashboard reporting on key indicators.
The application still has unmatched reporting capabilities, including a bundled version of Crystal Reports and a serious Business Intelligence tool (PTBI)bundled with some higher end versions. In particular, an optional connector should permit combined reporting with data from ODBC-compliant data sources like CRM systems. This could get very interesting, and I have some research in progress on this now.
The grid comparing the major versions of Sage Peachtree is at http://www.peachtree.com/productsServices.
Another interesting thing that Sage is doing with Peachtree 2012 is bundling of additional benefits beyond support and upgrades with their Business Care maintenance plans. For example, two of the three offerings include payroll tax table updates, and all of the offerings include the PT Business Intelligence tool mentioned above, as well as online training and an HR resource center.
There are five releases issued yesterday (5/18/2011) targeted at different markets. The releases are on the Sage Peachtree website (at http://www.peachtree.com/newsroom/InTheNews), and cover the following topics:
- General SMB topics
- Construction Companies
- Business Intelligence
- Manufacturers and Distributors
I’ve been a big fan of Peachtree for a long time, and I think it’s worth any small business checking it out who is considering changing accounting software.