So I broke down and bought the Treo 650 about three weeks ago. Best device I've purchased ever. And that REALLY is saying a lot. Here are my observations, and why you should NOT update for 3-4 months - unless you know the following items:
- 1. Many apps used by mobile professionals are not compatible with the new Palm OS 5.4 (used by the T650) due to the different memory format (e.g. T650 uses flash memory, which doesn't erase itself when the batteries come out - others use RAM, which is gone as soon as the charge disappears.) Among these which are completely incompatible at this time are:
- Act for Palm - My favorite little app crashed and burned like an F-16 into the side of a mountain when I upgraded. No definitive word from Best Software as to when this is going to be fixed. Guys, you're going to get me to upgrade to Act 2005 as soon as this stuff comes out, so if you want my dough, let's go!
- Act 2005 - Yes, ACT 2005, the (IMHO) best contact manager out there (although the Outlook integration leaves quite a bit to be desired) is completely incompatible with Palm OS 5.4. A post on the ACT website says:
- Update # 3 will include the ACT! Link for Palm® OS and the ACT! Link for Pocket PC. Although the Links will support two-way sync with most Palm and Pocket PC handheld devices, the initial release will not support Palm OS 5.4 (e.g. Treo 650). We are finalizing a two-phased beta test in North America, several European countries and Australia. Allowing for time to incorporate beta feedback, we plan to make the update generally available in the next two to four weeks.
As such, I'm syncing one way with Act 6 right now. Guys, this really sucks. Please fix it soon - I implore you.
- Many other apps are incompatible with Palm OS 5.4, and many of my faves have had to be removed or replaced with other apps. All in all, make sure you get the phone returnable if you depend on your Palm Apps - you may hate it.
On the positive side, I am using the following apps on my T650 which are great!
- Versamail - It's POP, but it's free. Enough said.
- LauncherX - Makes the T650 look much less like Windows 3.1. Get it, and be glad you did.
- Quicknews - RSS feeds on the T650 - how cool is that !
- Documents to Go - integrates well with Versamail, and lets me send native Word and Excel files. I'm in geek heaven.
- Realplayer - Great, but the volume is somewhat inflexible. (I know - if it's too loud, you're too old)
- RightBackUp is pretty cool - and seems to do an OK job of backing up to my 512MB SD card (essential - Palm OS 5.4 is a PIG on memory mgt.)
I like the Bluetooth, and will shell out for a BT headset when I get a few bucks ahead. Tried one at BestBuy the other day, and it was AWESOME! The camera is good, and lets me capture good times with my son - to paraphrase Ron Popeil - "Why that alone is worth the price of the item".
No IGo tip yet, either. How geek friendly is that ?????